Aegina island, Saronic, Greece
The Cathedral of Aegina was built in 1806 with money given by the Holy Abbey of Chrysoleontissa. The cathedral of Aegina is a three-naved temple, with three red domes; the central dome is dedicated to the feast of Koimiseos Theotokou, the right dome is dedicated to the patron saint of Aegina, Saint Dionysios, and the left dome is dedicated to Saint Ioannis the Theologian. The cathedral was also used by the Parliament in 1827 and in 1828 for the swearing in of the first government.
Monastery of Saint Nektarios
The Monastery of Saint Nektarios was built around 1904-1910 by the bishop, Pentapoleos Nektarios. The Monastery is on the road to Saint Marina and is about 6 kilometers from the town of Aegina. The church has two tall bell-towers and 4 rows of windows which all have red arches.
Faneromeni is on the new road to Saint Marina. Below the exterior church of the 13th century are two smaller churches that have been saved. In the second church, there is a wonderful icon of the Virgin Mary. Behind the chancel Table, a passage leads to a small cave.
Hydra island, Saronic, Greece
Monastery of Zourvas
The monastery is located on the extreme north-east of Hydra and is reached by a two hours' walk via a footpath from the Monastery of Agia Triada. It was built in 1814 and offers an astonishing view over the eastern and western coasts of the island.
Close to the Monastery of Profitis Ilias, about 500 meters above sea level, stands the Convent of Efpraxia, similar in design to the monastery. Nine nuns live in the convent and run a small embroidery workshop.
Poros island, Saronic, Greece
The Church of Agios Georgios
Agios Georgios is located in the heart of Poros Town, the capital of the island. The beautiful little whitewashed church of Agios Georgios is worth-seeing for the treasures it houses: wonderful frescoes painted by one of the most renowned modern painters in Greece.
The Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi is located 4 kilometers east of Poros Town, above the fishing hamlet of Kalavria. The whole ensemble is astonishing and very imposing.
The main church of the monastery is a small, high-domed chapel which sits in the middle of the courtyard.
Spetses island, Saronic, Greece
The Monastery of Agios Nikolaos was built in 1805 and is located above the Old Harbour of Spetses, Baltiza. The main church of the monastery has a number of Byzantine icons of Saint Nicholas who is the patron of the island and of fishermen and sailors. This monastery is visited frequently and is famous because it was there that the leaders from Spetses took the oath of freedom and raised the banner of the Greek Revolution.
The Church of Agia Triada
The church of Agia Triada houses a superb wood carved temple and has an unusual tiered steeple that has a single bell in the middle of a triple arch.